Saturday, June 7, 2014

Attention for Aspiring Authors

Search for me on the internet, o’ readers, and know my every waking move!

The search engines are revving into high gear. What’s trending? You. The likes on Facebook are rolling in every time you sit down and post about your work in progress. They are eager to hear your thoughts, see where you check in, and observe your ways. Even when you aren’t online, your fans are thinking about your books and eagerly awaiting your next release. They follow you on Twitter because your intellectual ravings keep them entertained all day. The glamorous life of a bestseller is more wonderful than you can ever imagine. Enjoy it. You’ve earned it.

Now wake up.

It’s easy to get caught up in all the glitz and glamour of the writing life. The view from outside is often skewed. More often than not, writers never achieve this level of success. While self-publishing has given more people a chance at the ultimate prize, it’s also diluted the market to the point where only a miniscule amount of writers can make even enough money to write full-time. Forget about fame and fortune.

You may be wondering why God would give you a burning desire to write but not pave the way for success. I know I do. Things are happening for me, but very slowly. I may never achieve the ultimate dream I have for myself, but I will never stop writing. It’s all about the writing. Fame and fortune would be nice. I pray that is God’s plan for me, but I will not stop writing no matter what.

Which brings me back to fame and fortune….and Psalms. Psalm 139:1-18 to be exact.

Search me, O God, and know my heart!

We are all in this writer’s journey together. Each of us has a crucial role in God’s plan. No matter if you never make a dime as a writer, or become a household name, or hit the bestseller lists – know this: Jesus has friended you, He follows you, and you are trending in His house. The Lord keeps tabs on your every waking move. He is your biggest fan. Who can ask for more than that?

No comments:

Post a Comment