Saturday, June 7, 2014

What We Write Reveals Who We Are

People who read my books know that I love the Lord. They are Christians, too, who enjoy reading inspirational romance as much as I love writing them. They know that I have a soft spot for geeks, have a tendency to wax poetic and get all flowery and symbolic, and I have a very silly sense of humor. They can tell that I relate to older people, so I always incorporate deep relationships with older characters in every story. My stories are much more unique than you'd expect. I'm different and not ashamed to reflect that in my writing. Readers can tell that I love simple, country living and down-to-earth personalities.
Those who read my books know that I struggle with faith and purpose. They know that prayer is important to me. They know I cherish second chances and starting over and making mistakes. They know that above all else, writing is my ministry. It's also an outlet and my connection to the world. My readers know that I strive to make my characters as relatable as possible because it is through those connections that deeper meaning takes place. I want my readers to experience my creative world and really feel every aspect of it. My ministry wouldn't work any other way.
Readers can tell that I root for my characters and fight hard alongside them to achieve that happily ever after. I won't spoil them though. They have to live and learn just like everybody else. Just like I've done over and over.
My readers can pick out bits and pieces of me scattered about: my quiet side, my romantic side, my artistic side, and my quirky side. They wouldn't put it past me to talk to cows or dust bunnies, to fend off heavy equipment with a stick, or to have intellectual debates about zig zags and the importance of facing the "right" direction in restaurants.
Those who read my books know that I spend quality time researching in order to add just the right amount of realism to my fiction. They know I pay attention to detail.
It's very evident in my writing that I am a southern girl, and I even write with an accent. They may not know that, even though my "accent" is there, it's been diluted by several rounds of editing by editors who are not southern. I don't want to alienate my fans from the north, east, and west.
My readers can tell that I'm not perfect, I don't strive for perfection, and I don't expect perfection for my characters. I hope that they walk away from my books knowing that it's okay to make mistakes and to not be perfect. I believe they know this and it's one of the main reasons why they read my books.
My readers know that I am human and they're okay with that.
What does your writing say about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment