Saturday, June 7, 2014

Virtual Traveling for Research

I’ve never been to Sweet Home, Texas, the setting of my small town romance series, but the world my characters live in is as rich and real as any place I’ve visited in real life. That’s the goal that all writers strive to achieve – to add just enough realism to their fiction to draw readers in and create a deep connection.

Sci-Fi writers are experts at this. Not only have their readers never been to the futuristic realms of which they describe, but there is sometimes very little point of reference. It takes masterful skill to bring those worlds to life in a way readers can fully connect and visualize.

One way writers can do this is through virtual traveling. The internet is full of videos and pictures of places around the world and around the corner. A good place to start is Google or Yahoo with a search for a town or area similar to the setting in your story. At the time I was doing research for my series, I was looking for a Texas town with a funny name at DribbleGlass and stumbled upon Sweet Home, Texas. Not exactly funny, but something drew me to it. Another search and I was immediately lost in pictures and history of the town and surrounding area. I pictured my characters there and everything started coming together.

Never underestimate the power of your senses. It may be fiction, but the more real it is to you the more real it will be to your readers. I read about many writers who create soundtracks for each story to set the mood while they write. Also, I’ve heard of writers eating certain foods or lighting a candle of a certain scent. Or wearing costumes or wrapping up in a special blanket. They need to hear and smell and feel and taste their creative worlds. Virtual traveling adds a visual layer to the mix, and one I think readers will appreciate. It’s all in the details.

Go forth (on your computer) and explore this beautiful world God created. Just remember to let Him lead you in your travels.

“Even there your hand shall lead me and your right hand shall hold me.” Psalm 139

No comments:

Post a Comment