Friday, November 6, 2015

Believing These 6 Myths about Revisions Keeps You from Growing

Myth #1 – You must take a long break from your draft before beginning the revision process.

While it is nice to rest your eyes and take a step back before diving back in, there is no set amount of time writers should wait before tackling revisions. Especially is you’re a one-project-at-a-time writer, that would mean idle time without producing. The key to effective revisions is a fool-proof system. In my book, Revision Runway, I explain a systematic approach to revisions known loosely as the Layering Process.

Myth #2 – Revisions should focus on the large issues, rather than the small ones.

I divide revising into two categories: stand-alone layers and over-arching layers. The over-arching layers cover the large, structural issues with manuscripts. Things like character arcs, plot arcs, and conflict arcs belong in this category. But there is another side of revisions that focuses on the small things like dialogue, setting and sensory details, and character action/reaction.

Myth #3 – Revising takes an enormous amount of time.

Not if you use a systematic approach. Think of it as an assembly line for revisions. There’s a reason large corporations and manufacturers streamline and organize; it increases productivity and profits. The same is true for writing.

Myth #4 – Revising is re-writing my whole novel.

As a die-hard plotter, I can tell you that major re-writes can be prevented with proper planning. I’ll be happy to present my workshop on plotting using a three-act structure. If you train yourself to be a careful plotter, then the revision process becomes a breeze.

Myth #5 – If I revise my draft, I will end up cutting much of what I love.

A piece of advice: don’t fall in love with your words. Unless you want to die a broke and unknown writer. Writing is a creative process for sure, but it’s also a business. Knowing when to let go of something that doesn’t work is smart business. It can be painful, like a child leaving home, but deep down you know it’s natural and it’s for the best.

Myth #6 – I revise as I go, so I don’t need to make any formal revisions at the end.

Even if you revise as you go, you can’t catch everything. Mainly because you’re so caught up in the creative writing process. In my book, Revision Runway, I talk about how you can’t send the right brain to do the left brain’s job, or vice versa. Save the revisions for the end

No comments:

Post a Comment