Saturday, November 7, 2015

Don’t Waste Time! 6 Ways to Streamline the Revision Process

  1.       Start immediately. As soon as you type the words THE END, move straight into revisions. I wouldn’t recommend this for pantsers, but plotters who follow a detailed outline shouldn’t have issues.
  2.      Large or small issues, work through the revision process in an orderly fashion. I recommend using my book, Revision Runway, to guide you through.
  3.        Whether you use a checklist, a spreadsheet, or another graphic organizer, put each layer of the revision process in the order you prefer and get into a routine of following it every time. Pretty soon, it will become like second nature. The amount of time you spend on revisions will decrease a little at a time.
  4.         Avoid re-writes during the revision process by planning ahead. Pantsers will most surely take issue with this, but even some planning is better than none. Plotting helps you avoid plot problems. They are time consuming and emotionally draining to fix.
  5.       Another argument for proper planning is getting to keep what you write. It’s a sad moment indeed when you create brilliant prose…only to have to delete it because it no longer fits with the plot. I will tell you that I spend more time plotting than I do on the actual writing of my books. My outlines look like a novella. They are that detailed. Rarely am I forced to cut my precious words.
  6.       Don’t waste time revising as you go. You will still have to do final revisions, so you’re only adding more work for yourself in the end. It’s better to wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment